This article was first published 9 years ago

Wozniacki survives scare to reach Eastbourne quarters

Share:

June 25, 2015 10:29 IST

Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark

Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki in action at the Aegon International in Eastbourne. Photograph: Julian Finney/Getty Images

Former World No 1 Caroline Wozniacki reached the quarter-finals of Eastbourne's Aegon Championships with a topsy-turvy defeat of Svetlana Kuznetsova on Wednesday.

The Dane surrendered the first set after leading 5-1 but recovered to win 6-7(3), 6-3, 6-1 as Kuznetsova faded.

Despite taking charge of the match, second seed Wozniacki said she was worried right to the end against the former U.S. Open and French Open champion.

"I was 5-1 up in that first set, so when I was 5-1 up in the third set I was thinking to myself that I really couldn't repeat what happened earlier," she said.

"I served better as the match went on, tried to take the ball a little earlier."

Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark

Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki lobs the ball over Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia . Photograph: Ben Hoskins/Getty Images

The World No 5 plays Andrea Petkovic next at the traditional seaside grasscourt tournament after the German beat American CoCo Vandeweghe 6-3, 6-4.

Eugenie Bouchard's problems continued as last year's Wimbledon runner-up retired with an abdominal injury when trailing Belinda Bencic 6-4, 3-0.

"I was feeling it during the match," Canada's Bouchard told reporters. "It just wasn't smart for me to take a risk, and, you know, potentially be out for a long time.

"It's something I want to kind of take care of right away."

"I'm going to play (Wimbledon) no matter what, even if I'm on one leg," added Bouchard, who has suffered a string of early defeats this year.

British wildcard Johanna Konta continued her surprise run with another shock, this time the world number 146 knocking over Spain's Garbine Muguruza, a day after beating world number eight Ekaterina Makarova.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Share: